Thursday, January 3, 2013
▶ I worked more to control my own happiness. In the past few years I have come to learn that we are truly in control of our lives. Regardless of circumstance we are in control of our outlook on the world. In 2012 I learned more about how to be happy with myself by not relying on others for happiness and spending quality time with myself to recharge and reach a means of inner peace.
▶ Creativity re-entered my life in a big way this year. Since graduating high school I had let some of the things that were really important to me like creating things slip away. Creating this blog and exposing myself to new creative outlets and communities really allowed me to begin thinking creatively and expressing myself again. I can't begin to express how much that means to me.
▶ This year I learned to love and relate to myself. In the past year I came across someone who without knowing it forced me to better myself. I was challenged and pushed to think in ways that had previously scared me. I have always wanted to know myself, to understand myself, and to love myself. I had always been so afraid of getting to that place. The walls I had built not only served as protection from others, but also from myself. This year I learned that there is no reason to fear love, especially if it is a love for myself.
▶ The above was a big one for me, but the most important thing I learned in 2012 is about friendship. I learned not only what kind of a friend I want to be for others, but the kind of friends I want or need in my life. I am now getting to an age where I know the kind of people I want to surround myself with. It is ok to pick and choose friends. Life is so short and there is no reason to be surrounded by people who do not enrich your life and make you happy.
4. This day with my best friends at Minnehaha Falls.
3. Seeing Beirut finally after waiting nearly seven years and the musical discovery that show inspired.
2. Bonnaroo (1, 2, & 3)
1. Mumford & Sons Gentlemen of the Road Stopover in Dixon, IL with Hannah
And looking ahead to 2013 I have very high hopes for what is in store for me this year. Besides the big changes and adventures that await me I also set some personal goals for myself that I really want to stick to.
- Document more. Whether that be by blogging more, pushing myself to bring my camera on more outings, or even just journaling, I want to have things to look back on in this exciting year.
- Listen to a wider variety of music. I tend to get obsessive with one artist or one album and listen to it non-stop. For example, in the past five months I have listened to nothing other than Sons of an Illustrious Father and Beirut. There is so much music out in the world that I want to discover.
- Live a little. This whirlwind adventure that I am going on will never happen again. I want to say YES to as many things as I possibly can.
- Learn something new. Grammar, psychology, history, whatever I choose I want to go beyond the classroom and take the vast world of knowledge into my own hands.
- And finally, live more simply. Simple as that.
Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2013 is great to us all.